He offers instead six principles for a proper education:
1. All education is environmental education.Can any college or university say it is teaching using these principles today?
2. The goal of education is not mastery of subject matter, but of one's person.
3. Knowledge carries with it the responsibility to see that it is well used in the world.
4. We cannot say that we know something until we understand the effects of this knowledge on real people and their communities.
5. The importance of "minute particulars" and the power of examples over words.
6. The way learning occurs is as important as the content of particular courses.
(Comments are open to all. See the list of environmental blogs on my sidebar.)