Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Regrettably, A Comments Policy

The vast majority of comments on Resource Insights come from thoughtful people trying to advance our understanding of resources, climate change and sustainability. I thank them for helping me and my readers expand our awareness of these critical issues, and I invite them to continue our journey together.

Some recent comments on this blog, however, have prompted me to institute a comments policy. Previously, the only comments which I deleted were either spam, direct attacks on individuals, or in some way clearly abusive. But now I feel compelled to respond to those who want to use this blog as a depot for disinformation generated by the fossil fuel lobby. Frankly, it is a waste of my time on this blog to refute disinformation about basic climate science. I will no longer do so. Instead, comments which in my judgment are merely designed to be conduits for disinformation about climate science or about any other topic will be deleted. I encourage other commenters to ignore such comments as well. I don't want you wasting your time either.

If you are a reader and have questions about basic climate science, there are many excellent websites and publications which can answer your questions. The single best book I've read for those who want a basic comprehensive briefing on climate science is John Houghton's (somewhat pricey) book entitled "Global Warming: The Complete Briefing." Another excellent and highly readable book is Tim Flannery's (quite affordable) "The Weather Makers." You'll find Houghton's book in many university libraries. Flannery's book is probably available in your public library. And, online I can recommend RealClimate, a blog written by bona fide climate scientists.

The Internet is a wonderful place that allows everyone to have his or her say. If you want to dispute basic climate science, I encourage you to start your own blog or website or to post on those that specialize in industry-funded propaganda.

5 comments:

mattbg said...

I own a copy of "The Weather Makers" but have not yet read it. I will make it a priority.

Bart said...

Good move, Kurt. Without some sort of moderation, a comments section usually turns into a cesspool.

gsanford said...

The idea that it's just a cabal on the part of the fossil fuel industry to send out armies of paid denialist talkbackers is to avoid dealing with the even scarier reality that a large percentage really are genuine denialists.

The polls coming out recently support this.

Anonymous said...

@straker

Hanlon's Razor?
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

John Andersen said...

Sadly, such policy statements have become necessary. It's an indication of just how far the quality of public discourse has sunken in this country.