Friday, February 25, 2005

What if the Bush administration gave a party and nobody came?

I noted earlier the curious news that oil companies were dropping out of a coalition which is lobbying to open up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) to drilling. This piece in The New York Times confirms my suspicions that the major oil companies don't think there is enough oil in the refuge to fight for it. No doubt the Bush administration will push ahead with the yearly ritual of trying to open ANWR to drilling anyway. Could environmentalists count it a victory if the administration got its way and nobody wanted to drill?

(Comments are open to all. See the list of environmental blogs on my sidebar.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

According to this article, Exxon Mobile is still interested in drilling.

I'm just getting up to speed on this issue, but from what I'm reading, part of the issue isn't pragmatic it's ideological: if the back of the environmental movement can be broken here, it can broken anywhere.

I'm just saying that this may be a sneak-attack.